Call for Papers for
2023 Forum on Philosophy, Engineering, and Technology
19-21 April 2023 (Wednesday to Friday) @ TUDelft, Delft, The Netherlands
with a Special Track on Changing Values, Changing Technologies
The 2023 Forum on Philosophy, Engineering, and Technology (fPET 2023) will be held at the Technical University of Delft in the Netherlands from 19-21 April 2023 (Wednesday to Friday). The conference will bring together engineers and philosophers to address the challenges of engineering in a changing world.
fPET 2023 will provide the opportunity to meet like-minded researchers and present and discuss research on the intersection of engineering and philosophy, addressing the broad theme of technology and engineering in a changing world. You can now submit abstracts and panel proposals at www.fpet2023.org.
We invite abstracts and panel proposals on the following (broad) topics:
- Philosophy of technology and engineering
- Ethics, social and political philosophy, and values in technology and engineering
- Philosophy and ethics in engineering and technology education
- Interdisciplinary studies of technology and engineering, particularly (but not limited to) responsible innovation and value-sensitive design
- Practitioners’ reflections on engineering and technology
We particularly invite practicing engineers and technological practitioners & researchers to submit abstracts and present reflections based on their hands-on experience in engineering or technological research.
Special track on value change
The conference will feature a special track on Changing Values, Changing Technologies (see www.valuechange.eu). This track will introduce a novel perspective on value change. We will discuss the nature of value change and illuminate the implications for the practice of, research on and teaching in engineering. For this track we invite papers that present recent research on the theme of value change and technology. If you want to submit to this special track, you can so indicate during submission.
The following keynote speakers have confirmed their presence:
- Guru Madhavan (National Academy of Engineering, US)
- Samantha Kleinberg (Stevens Institute of Technology, US)
- Sarah Spiekermann (WU Vienna, Austria)
January 15, 2023: Deadline for abstract submission
February 15: Decision about acceptance
March 15: Confirmation of participation for chosen presenters
April 19-21: Conference
We plan to hold the conference in Delft as an in-person event. If the situation should change due to Corona measures, we will update our plans accordingly. Currently there are no COVID-19 related restrictions for travelling to the Netherlands. The most recent information can be found here: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the netherlands-from-abroad
Please submit your abstract via our website: www.fpet2023.org
Abstracts must not exceed 500 words, including notes and references.
Please direct any queries related to the conference to firstname.lastname@example.org
We welcome submissions addressing new or underexplored topics, the reflective submissions of engineers or other technology practitioners, and submissions of an interdisciplinary nature.
- Co-Chairs: Ibo van de Poel (TUDelft) & David E. Goldberg (Illinois & ThreeJoy)
- Program Chair: Neelke Doorn (TUDelft)
- Local Arrangements: Lotte Asveld, Michael Klenk & Nathalie van den Heuvel (TU Delft)